19 February 2009

Baby spoons




So my new apartment came "fully furnished" with two whole Chinese spoons, one metal spatula, a wok, and a gigantic butcher knife. I mean, what more does a girl need right? So after trying to use the spoons a few times I realized that my huge American mouth was too large for the spoons. The spoons here are about half the size you would receive at any Chinese restaurant in the States. Now you know just how small they are!


I went to a few different stores looking for a more suitable spoon so I could actually enjoy my oatmeal or whatever else I want to eat with spoon. There were a lot of small metal spoons to choose form but no tablespoons, which is what i prefer. I finally settled on the baby spoons. I now posses a Mickey and a Minnie spoon. They are plastic and shaped like more like a classic Chinese spoon but they are larger than the adult spoons, which is in complete contrast to the American baby spoons. Like I was telling the students today, all countries do the same things like eat and read but the way in which we do things is often the exact opposite.


In China, babies have enormous spoons. In America babies have tiny spoons, but in both countries these spoons are plastic, brightly coloured, and have ridiculous cartoon characters on them. And in both countries I own baby spoons.

No comments: