13 March 2009

I will build a bridge with badminton!!

Today I was rushing out of my apartment a little after 5pm. I realized I had forgotten to go to the store earlier to purchase items for my supper. The students usually get out of school at around 5:40 and it is always mass chaos at that time. I wanted to beat the crowd. As I ran across the school yard I saw that the headteacher from class 106 was playing badminton. I shouted hello and he waived me over. Oh boy. His English is hilarious because he always uses the wrong words. At least he tries right. He decided I would play him. I have only played badminton maybe twice in my life both at a teen. This was probably going to be hilarious. Then again if you have ever watched a Chinese person who was not on an Olympic team play any sort of sport you begin to feel you have a shot at beating them in anything.

I took my position after explaining I am horrible at badminton (I mean who really plays it anyway right?). We had a go and I brushed up on my serving. After a few volleys, in which I did hold my own, he passed his racket off to a women. We played for quite some time and it was enjoyable I have to admit. I made far more noise than she did. Then our headmaster came out onto the field. He is a very likable friendly sort of man, until you go head to head at badminton. He did kick my butt. He kept doing those fancy tennis moves like pretend you and gonna slam it then just tap it over the net. And I thought I was competitive. Another headmaster (this one is just over the English teachers and is always trying to intimidate me) came over and was also watching me make a fool of myself. Someone suggested he should play me but he refused. I think he was scared. The racket was then passed again. Did it occur to anyone besides me that I just played for people without a rest. And they wondered why I was so winded.

SO today was great. I built bridges through badminton!

No comments: